Quick Links:
PDFGeneral Steps and Timelines for PUDs
   PDFGeneral Steps and Timelines for Major & Minor Subdivisions

Pre-Development Procedures
The following procedures shall be followed for all development within the City of Hayden.  Commercial building permit applications, site plan applications, land use, and subdivision applications are accepted only following a pre-development meeting.  Pre-development meetings are held for one hour increments and are available for scheduling on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:00 and 11:00 a.m.  Meetings must be scheduled by noon of the Monday of the same week.  Advanced scheduling of a few weeks in advance is recommended as available time slots may fill quickly.

  • Customers will complete a Pre-development Meeting Request Form
  • City staff from Building, Planning and Engineering will be present at the meeting along with other involved agency staff (such as the Fire Department)
  • Notes customized to your development proposal will be drafted during the meeting and emailed to the contact person identified on the meeting request form.
  • A file folder will be created for future reference
  • The meeting is informational in nature and is provided to assist you during permitting and development processes.  Feedback is based on an assessment of the information provided by  you, as the applicant, at the meeting as well as codes, regulations, and fees in effect at the time of the meeting.  Timing of application as well as alterations to the site plan and/or project scope, and detailed project review, among other things, may affect the applicability of those items discussed.  Because the pre-development review meeting is designed to provide conceptual level review, no approvals are intended or implied until the permit application, review, and approval process has been completed; as such, the items noted herein may not be addressed completely or accurately at the meeting.
  • Upon development application, the information from this file will be transferred to the building permit application, development application, or site plan application file

Development Activities & Processes

Below is a brief description of development activities processed through the Community and Economic Development Department:

  • Accessory Living Units:  A building or portions of a building located on the same lot, but separate from the principal dwelling, with at least two hundred twenty (220) square feet of habitable space but not more than eight hundred (800) square feet, equipped with plumbing for a toilet, sink, and bathing facilities, and a single kitchen permanently installed.
  • Annexation:  Requests for annexation of new lands into the city are considered when such annexation would result in a benefit to the city of Hayden that equals or exceeds the costs of such annexation, or when it is deemed beneficial to the pattern of development or economic prosperity of the community in the future.
  • Comprehensive Plan Amendment: A Comprehensive Plan Amendment revises the City’s adopted land use goals and policies and/or the future land use map for the City.  Comprehensive Plan Amendments require a public hearing before both the Planning and Zoning Commission, which makes a recommendation to City Council, and before City Council, which makes the final decision on the requested amendment.  Idaho Code prohibits modification of the City’s future land use map more than once every six months.
  • Latecomer Agreement and Special Districts (Local Improvement District / Community Infrastructure District / Business Improvement District):  This agreement provides a fair and equitable way for developers that install required infrastructure improvements that will potentially benefit other, future developers to share in the costs of those improvements.  Application for a Latecomer’s Agreement must be filed within 90 days of acceptance of infrastructure by the City!
  • Minor Subdivision:  The division of land into six or fewer contiguous lots when no zone change is required.  All lots must have access onto a public street or an approved private street.  Dedication of additional right-of-way may be required.  Minor subdivision applications are processed administratively, with no public hearing required.
  • Planned Unit Development: Planned unit developments (PUD) provide greater flexibility in land use and encourage greater design creativity than is generally allowed under conventional standards and development approaches.  PUDs may incorporate a variety of residential and land use types, and contain both individual building sites and common property which are planned and developed as a functional unit or neighborhood.
  • Subdivision: The division of land into more than 6 lots, or any division of land that requires a zone change.  See the Hayden City Code, Title 12 for a detailed list of requirements.  A public hearing will be scheduled with the Planning and Zoning Commission for a recommendation that will then go to the Hayden City Council for a final decision.  The division of land into six or fewer contiguous lots is a Minor Subdivision.
  • Special Use Permit: The special use permit procedure is intended to provide for the review of specific uses that are potentially compatible with allowed uses within the zone, provided that they meet certain standards.  The Planning and Zoning Commission will hold a public hearing and may approve, conditionally approve, or deny the request.
  • Temporary Hardship Permit:  These permits allow a manufactured home for a dependent relative to be placed on an existing residential lot having a minimum size of 8,250 square feet to be occupied as temporary living quarters by either a dependent relative or by the person(s)/family providing care to a dependent. 
  • Variance:  A variance provides for a modification of a specific zoning requirement adopted by the City when, due to unique site characteristics, the strict application of the zoning regulation would create an undue hardship and deny reasonable use of the subject property.  Variances can only be granted if approval would not otherwise impair achievement of the standards, would not impose additional burden upon adjoining landowners, or otherwise have detrimental effect on properties in the area, or the community at large.
  • Zone Change:  Application for amendments to the official zoning map must be made with a zone change application.  A zone change request is subject to a public hearing before the Planning and Zoning Commission who makes an advisory recommendation, and a public hearing before the Hayden City Council where a final decision is made.  Zone changes must be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan, compatible with present and future land use in the vicinity, and infrastructure must be available to support the uses that would be allowed in the requested zone.


Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Search for file type:
Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by HEADER in Ascending Order within category
Please click on one of the categories below to see uploaded documents.
+  Development Application Forms & Fees 23 documents
Download File
document Header Administrative Appeal / Reconsideration Request
Download File
document Header Administrative Exception Application
Download File
document Header Boundary Line Adjustment Application
Download File
document Header City of Hayden Fee Schedule
Download File
document Header Comprehensive Plan Admendment Application
Download File
document Header Condo Plat - Preliminary Application
Download File
document Header Construction Plan Review Application
Download File
document Header Construction Plan Review Checklist
Download File
document Header Final Plat Application
Download File
document Header Floodplain Development Permit Application
Download File
document Header Lot Line Adjustment - Corporate Covenant Agreement
Download File
document Header Lot Line Adjustment - Individual Covenant Agreement
Download File
document Header Minor Subdivision Application
Download File
document Header Planned Unit Development Final Application
Download File
Download File
document Header Preliminary Planned Unit Development Application
Download File
document Header Request for a Rescheduled Hearing
Download File
document Header Resubmittal Form (except Minor Subdivisions)
Download File
document Header Special Use Permit Application
Download File
document Header Subdivision Application
Download File
document Header Temporary Hardship Application
Download File
document Header Vacation of ROW-Easement Application
Download File
document Header Zone Change Application